As you can probably tell by now, we are a big fan of bowls. And mexican food. We’ve also been really into cauliflower rice recently, and have been looking for ways to use it. We found this recipe for Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowls on the Love and Lemons blog, and didn’t have all the ingredients (or the time to make that yummy looking sauce), so made our own variation on the recipe.
These turned out really well, if we do say so ourselves. We got our cauliflower, scallion, kale, and cilantro from Farm Fresh to You, and always buy our feta cheese at Costco. It’s literally the best we’ve found – but make sure you get the block in brine. You can find it here. We also love costco’s Mango Salsa, and used it in our bowls since we had it in the fridge and were feeling lazy.
We also use a lot of Bitchin Sauce. It’s local to San Diego and tasty in all flavors. To make the dressing for these bowls, we just added a little bit of hot water to thin it out so it can be drizzled over the top. Enjoy!
Here’s our recipe:
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets and stems
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 limes
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- Diced avocado
- Mango Salsa or diced mango
- 2-3 Tbsp Cilantro Chili Bitchin Sauce mixed with 1-2 Tsp hot water
- First, make the cauliflower rice. Make sure the cauliflower is dry, then place the florets and chopped stems in a food processor and pulse until it has the texture of rice. Work in batches if necessary and don’t over process or it will get mushy.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the cauliflower and sauté until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lime juice.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions until soft and translucent. Add the kale with some garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until greens are wilted. Stir, cook for 1 minute, then add a squeeze of lime and remove from heat.
- To the bowls add the cauliflower rice, black beans, kale, avocado, scallions and cilantro. Top with the Bitchin Sauce, mango salsa, feta cheese and extra lime wedges.
Also, here’s another recipe for Burrito Bowls with Grilled Peach Salsa we made if you’re feeling adventurous!